Thursday, December 19, 2013

Mirrors, Mirrors on the Walls


One of my latest design projects (updating the furniture and accessories in a beautiful apartment building's lobby on East Avenue) had me on the search for two really large and affordable mirrors.  My goal was to install each mirror between the two brushed nickel sconces on the walls to the left and right of the main hallway.  


The space between the sconces measured over 60 inches - yikes - I needed a lot of mirror.  After looking into custom mirrors ($175/mirror), shopping online ($big bucks in shipping), and stopping at store after store locally (lots of mirrors - each too small or too pricey), I finally stumbled upon two of these guys...


I couldn't believe my eyes...two huge mirrors, in the clearance section, and in a completely hideous gold finish.  The gold finish was especially blinding, but the price...

Perfect!  So, I loaded the mirrors into the car and made a quick stop at Michael's to pick up some spray paint.



I had absolutely no experience using this Brushed Metallic (in Nickel) spray paint, but I figured I'd give it a go.  
BEFORE
Taped off and ready to paint
First coat of spray paint
After a few thin layers of spray paint, I loaded up the mirrors and brought them over to the lobby for install.  I was so excited when the size of the mirrors totally worked and with their new and improved brushed nickel finish...just what the lobby needed!



I'll be sharing all the before and afters in the lobby transformation next week.  Stay tuned!

P.S.  Here's an exterior shot of the building.  Isn't it gorgeous?  If you know anyone looking to rent in Rochester, this is in an ideal location.  You can call Re/Max Realty Group at 585-244-6500.  (Plus I heard that its lobby is looking pretty sweet).  





1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing how the project turned out. Good shopping and painting!

    ReplyDelete